On Monday, the 118th edition of the Boston Marathon began once again after the first anniversary of the attacks that shook the city and the entire country, and caused three deaths and hundreds of wounded and maimed.
About 36,000 people participate in the race, which takes place with heightened security measures to prevent an similar event as the previous edition.
“I showed up, I’m back, and I am going to finish what I didn’t finish last year,” said Mary Cunningham, 50, of St. Petersburg, Fla., who was stopped a mile short of the finish line by the explosions last year.
Boston Marathon race director Dave McGillivray said it had been a long and difficult year. “We’re taking back our race,” he said. “We’re taking back the finish line.”