A school, the Municipality of Quito and the Vice Presidency. The three scenarios experienced bomb threats on April 19. Finally, the only explosion that occurred when a backpack abandoned in the vicinity of the mayor’s office – which raised suspicions – was detonated.
The roads surrounding the Municipal Education Unit Sucre were the first to be monitored. There was the first alert that was later discarded.
In the midst of this anxiety there was also confusion in the Carondelet Palace. This was described by the Lieutenant Colonel, Marcelo Cortez, to the bomb attempt in the Presidency: “The official who monitored the radio frequencies, hears that there is a backpack and is taken originating believing that it was in the palace,” explained the specialist.
Therefore, although initially there were four bomb threats, the final count – discarding the previous mistake – is three. Cortez said that as a result of the inspections all these alerts have been negative.
The case of the forgotten backpack
Quito receives three bomb threats
Staff of the Intervention and Rescue Group of the National Police conducted an inspection in the facilities of the Municipality of Quito, in the Historic Center of the city.
A metropolitan agent warned of the presence of a black backpack, which had been abandoned in the morning on the outskirts of the municipal headquarters, explained Captain José Luis Rodríguez, from the Manuela Sáenz circuit.
Staff of the institution was evacuated and a perimeter was set up to safeguard the safety of the people, who at that time, were passing through the Plaza Grande.
After the respective inspection, it was verified that there was nothing inside the backpack.
Specialized teams conducted a controlled explosion of the device and ruled out any threat.
This is how it was done in Sucre school
Christian Rivera, security technician of the Municipality of Quito, informed that after personnel of the Intervention and Rescue Group of the National Police inspected the place, she did not find any explosive device.
Nearly 2,000 students were evacuated to the Plaza de Santo Domingo, where they were attended by emergency personnel. There were no incidents, only a panic attack of the person who received the warning call, Rivera said.
Myriam Guerrero, vice-rector of the school, announced that the children were removed by their parents from the Plaza de Santo Domingo, the children who were not picked up were taken to the institution so that the school’s transport team could transport them to their homes.
Once a month at the school, simulated incidents are held, so teachers and students responded in a good way to the alarm that was activated. The afternoon shift could be canceled, Rivera said; however, the school authorities analyze the possibility.
Juan Zapata, Secretary of Security, said that around 09:20 the alert was reported. The call center entered a call from a voice that resembled “that of a computer,” who warned that in the next few hours an artifact could explode. (I)