Posted On 23 Jun 2017
Ana Galarza is a legislator who represents the province of Tungurahua. A representative of the opposition bloc CREO-SUMA, she stands out as a frontal opponent.
– What is your reaction to yesterday’s appearance?
– First: it was not an appearance. They clarified it themselves. But many times yesterday, the vice president repeated the key: political responsibility. He said it by referring to his responsibility.
– What did he say?
– He was silent when asked what actions he took to control people who committed acts of corruption in the areas he was in charge, as ordered by decree 015. He did not answer anything. Neither when asked about Ricardo Rivera, his uncle, who received 13 million dollars for awarding contracts to Odebrecht. This shows he was the sole responsible.
– What does this mean in practical terms?
– That is close to the conclusion. That is the reason why we will take him to trial, as this is requested by the Constitution. The fact that he was a direct relative, the fact that his subordinates were free to commit acts of corruption, and the fact that he was politically responsible for those sectors, are a cause for his impeachment. That, not to mention Caminosca.
– Were you satisfied with his explanation on Caminosca?
– There was no explanation, he denied everything, as they have done so far. The names of Jorge Glas and Esteban Albornoz appear in the Caminosca case.
– The documents of the company against the word of the vice president …
– That needs an investigation. But the strange thing is that they try so hard to prevent a political and judicial investigation. This is a show.
– The vice president requested that the Prosecutor’s Office investigates him for Caminosca.
– Why does not he undertake a private action?
– Against Caminosca?
– Sure. Why does not he demand that company for calling him a corrupt? For the same reason, he does not want to play with fire: because he can get burned. He should sue Caminosca.
– Does the hearing dilute or eliminate the impeachment?
– It does not dilute it. On the contrary. He admitted that he had a political responsibility. It is not enough for us that he says he does not know anything about this because nobody gives us back the millions the State lost. (I)