Several cities of Ecuador have been declared cultural heritage through history. Now Bahia de Caraquez turned into the number 27th cultural heritage and the fourth of the coast, along with Guayaquil, Anconcito and Montecristi, after the coordination ministry of heritage, confirmed this declaration through a communication.
The Mayor of Sucre, Carlos Mendoza, said that is a great honor to the city to have reached this category, although according to him it deserved it long ago by their customs, ideologies and for its rich history.
“We already have a project ready on the Bank of the State of the American house where the United States Consulate used to operate and where was also the railway station; then a process of restoration will start on the Malecon Avenue, the integration of the neighborhoods of Alto Cruz, María Auxiliadora, San Roque, Marianita de Jesús and El Astillero, area where they used to repair and manufacture boats”, says Mendoza.
The burgomaster states that the request and acceptance of this category was not easy, because he did it two years ago and recently the past March 21 was confirmed that the proposal had been accepted by the National Institute of Cultural Heritage and that was missing only the signing of Érika Silva, head of Culture to end the process.
The Act of official recognition of the Declaration in Bahia de Caraquez initially was going to be developed on March 27, but it was postponed to April 6, date which must be confirmed.