After the president of Venezuela’s National Electoral Council, Tibisay Lucena, committed to begin the audit of votes last Monday 22, which so far has not been carried out, opposition leader Henrique Capriles, run out of patience and issued ultimatum to the electoral body to begin the audit.
“You told the country and the world that an audit would be conducted here. We we will wait until tomorrow (Thursday), we will not wait any longer,” Capriles said in a press conference. “Venezuelans are not going to let you play with us, make fun of us,” he said.
His message, however, was interrupted by the Government. Without giving any explanation, television and radio stations of the country started to retransmit an official broadcast from the Executive, in which for 15 minutes, the “Chavismo” exhibited a video, full of manipulation.
Specifically, the message spread by the Executive showed Lucena, announcing the results of the elections on April 14, as well as government officials denouncing violence generated after the elections and blaming Capriles.
Following this issuance, the channels showed Capriles words again. “The fight is for the truth, let’s dismantle the lies, the slander, the threats, those who try to sow division among Venezuelans. We know the truth is with us, that’s why they try to hide the truth, with these broadcasts. And with smear campaigns. They are afraid of me talking with every Venezuelan”, Capriles said, once the government broadcast was over.