Voluntary affiliation with the Ecuadorian Social Security Institute (IESS) is a modality that people over 18 years of age living in Ecuador or abroad and who do not exercise economic activity in the country, according to data from the Coordination of Affiliation and Technical Control Guayas.
Requirements for voluntary affiliation
According to article 96 of the Regulation of insurance, collection and portfolio management, the requirements to join as a volunteer resident in Ecuador are the following:
- Identity card
- Be at least eighteen (18) years old; and,
- Do not register late or pending obligations with the IESS
- Identity card issued by the competent authority of Ecuador, except for persons with refugee cards
- Be at least eighteen (18) years old
- Have a residence visa
- Not register default or outstanding obligations with the IESS; and,
- In the case of foreign retirees, present the certificate of the pension they receive
Residents abroad who are Ecuadorians of legal age , regardless of their occupation or economic activity who voluntarily join this regime, may also volunteer.
Step by Step
- Access www.iess.gob.ec
- Go to Online Services
- Click Request Membership
- Choose: Residents in Ecuador or residents abroad
- Enter ID number and date of birth
- A screen will be displayed in which the personal data of the applicant will be entered
- Next, you will enter the contribution base, taking into account the minimum contribution base shown at the top of the screen
- Click calculate monthly payment
Automatically, the system will calculate the monthly contribution and the monthly payment, according to the contribution base entered
- Click on accept the affiliation and the process is finished
How much do I contribute per month?
The contribution percentage for voluntary affiliation of Ecuadorians living abroad is 17.6%, of the contribution base, which may not be less than a Unified Basic Salary (SBU).
This year, the SBU is $ 394. The minimum contribution value with this salary is $ 69.34 dollars.
Benefits and benefits
- Pension (old age, disability, montepío)
- Health Insurance (total coverage)
- Work Risks
- Funeral Assistance
Among the services that can be accessed are mortgage loans. Additional ones are health coverage for children under 18 without additional payment; and, extension of coverage for spouse, paying an additional 3.41%.