Among the seven national political groups to participate in elections in February next year, five presidential candidates are defined and two undefined.
Unless a last-minute unforeseen happens, the defined candidates would be:
- Lucio Gutierrez for the Partido Sociedad Patriotica (PSP)
- Alvaro Noboa for the Partido Renovador Institucional Accion Nacional (PRIAN)
- Alberto Acosta for the Movimiento Popular Democratico (MPD) and Pachakutik (PK)
- Guillermo Lasso for Creando Oportunidades (CREO)
- Rafael Correa for Alianza Pais (AP)
To them, only two more candidates could join in representation of the Partido Roldosista Ecuatoriano (PRE) and Ruptura.
Both national political groups are the only ones who plan to register a presidential candidate, although it is still unclear if they will. (MZ)