Posted On 07 Feb 2016
Open letter to the new Military Command
With great expectations the country expects your ruling on the issues that arose following the presidential order to strip the ISSFA away from its money. Therefore, let me tell you, with due respect, this:
1. The sale between the ISSFA and the Ministry of Environment for the sale of a property, was made through deed. If one party accuses the existence of enormous damage (ie, an oversized price), then this issue should be brought up to be resolved. However, considering the date of conclusion of the contract, to demand action is required. Why haven’t YOU yet decided to bring the claim before a judge to prevent such damage in the coffers of the ISSFA?
2. The claim for undue price in a contract must be brought before a judge. With a judiciary function wholly owned by the executive branch, the issue will surely be resolved in favor of the government. The President, who thinks he’s almighty, can not impose his and take that money from the ISSFA. Are you willing to tolerate such nonsense ?
3. The defense minister has described as “wacky” three former commanders of the armed forces. That is an insult to these people and the military institution as such because I am sure that when they finish their duties, they will not like to be qualified like that. Are you willing to condemn this nonsense and defend the institution as such, To put a jackanapes in his place?
4. Only in a “Banana Republic” the Presiden would communicate in twitter he has dismissed the military command. Would you like to run the same fate or will you let the record straight in time so such a deplorable resource can not be used again?
5. You, General Castro, now army commander, had in your hands the possibility of sanctioning a lieutenant colonel, the only one in the history of the armed forces who was promoted after making an internet course, by having delivered a Chavist speech in which he only lacked to say “Mother land or death, we will defeat.” You did not sanction him. Today You are in command of the Army, will you put him in place? He has spent more than five years in office at the Government Palace
6. I warn that Correa has committed several outrages: pretending that the military are wardens and correctional officers; driving a trial against prominent retired military for having fought terrorism in the dark ages of ¡Alfaro Vive; appointing several members of the violent group in senior positions in his government; stripping the armed forces from several properties; and now ordering to take ISSFA’s money, among other things. Beware, he seeks, as a corollary, his own victimization to avoid facing the crisis he has created. The people will judge him at the polls in just one year.
The Ecuadorian people honor their glorious Armed Forces, the victorious Cenepa troops. It is your obligation TO uphold the prestige achieved in the battlefield.
Dr. Andres Paez Benalcázar
PD.- The figure of “Commander in Chief” is not in the Constitution. That is another invention of Chavez.