Posted On 03 Jan 2014
Ecuador expressed on Tuesday, December 31 its solidarity with Brazil for the strong storm which has affected the southeast of that country for two weeks, reported the Foreign Ministry in Quito.
“The Ecuadorian Government expresses its deepest regret for the loss of human lives at the time that sends a message of solidarity to the tens of thousands of people displaced from their homes in the States of Espírito Santo and Minas Gerais”, said a statement from the Foreign Ministry.
In addition, the Ecuadorian President, Rafael Correa, said “to the Brazilian Government and to the families of the victims of this natural disaster, my deepest condolences”.
The Governor of Espirito Santo, Renato Casagrande, estimated that rebuilding the infrastructure of the State after nine days of heavy rains will take at least one year.
So far, more than 20 people have died in the region due to the rains and about 500 have been injured injured.
According to the latest bulletin of the Civil Defense, 48.010 people had to leave their homes and take refuge in the homes of relatives and friends.