This morning the unedited version of the second Universal Periodic Exam (EPU for its spanish acronym) was revealed which Ecuador gave this week at Geneva, Switzerland; this systematized document assembled by the Troika, presented 67 recommendations, from which the Government accepted 64 and rejected three.
The regime raised five additional commitments on speech free criteria to improve the situation of DD.HH.
1. – To continue efforts to ensure the right to a free, intercultural and diverse, communication.
2. – To promote and pass legislation to ensure implementation of a Communications attached to international standards, leaving out the criminal laws of defamation and contempt.
3. – To create appropriate legal environments for the civil society organizations and free journalists to do their job without law pressures that would criminalize them, even by the Ecuador authorities.
4. – To protect journalists from harassment and attacks that could happen, guaranteeing under all circumstances the right to speech freedom, and that allegations of harassment made to them, become target of investigation of independent bodies.
5. – To protect and promote the right of free speech of non-governmental social groups, preventing terrorism and sabotage charges against them.