The Inter-American Commission on Human Rights (IACHR) lifted the precautionary measures that had been arranged to set aside the execution of the sentence of three years in prison and the payment of a compensation of $ 40 million imposed to the executive directors (Carlos, Cesar and Nicolas Perez) and former editor of Opinion (Emilio Palacio) of El Universo newspaper.
The defense of the Perez brothers and Emilio Palacio said that precautionary measures were no longer needed, since the demander, the Ecuadorian President Rafael Correa “forgave” the sentence ratified by the National Court of Justice in the third appeal on February 16.
On March 9th, the Commission sent a statement to the parties pointing out the withdrawal of the protection and closed the file “because they have ceased the causes of immediate urgency that motivated them.”
“This has no prejudice to the right they have to rely on Article 23 of Regulations of the Commission or decisions arising out of any future application for interim measures on the same beneficiaries whenever their circumstances change and it warrants a new assessment if the requirements of Article 25 of that instrument must be verifiedt,” said the text of the Commission signed by its Deputy Executive Secretary, Elizabeth Abi-Mershed.
The Commission also suspended the hearing scheduled for March 28th, in Washington, United States.