Seven and a half years after the assassination of General Jorge Gabela, in December 2010, there are more obscure points than clarity regarding the case of the ex-commander of the FAE, who opposed the purchase of the seven Dhruv helicopters from an Indian company which four were injured and the other three will never fly again.
Investigations of the crime, both in the Ecuadorian judicial system and externally, by the hiring of an Argentine expert, raised more doubts than certainties in a case in which the Comptroller General of the State and the administrator of the contract have now entered the fold. , by the last report of an expert work that nobody in the government knows his whereabouts, when to the information of the case the president Lenin Moreno deprived him of the character of reserved.
Then the dark spots of the assassination of General Jorge Gabela, whose widow, Patricia Ochoa, warned them from the beginning.
- In April 2012, the Tenth Court of Criminal Guarantees of Guayas sentenced five men as material authors, accomplices and accessories to the crime of General Gabela. One of them was murder in prison a few months later. Patricia Ochoa insisted that there was an intellectual actor in the murder of her husband, that it was not common crime but an organized crime. Her request to the government led to open another investigation.
- On October 3, 2012, the government of Rafael Correa creates an inter-institutional committee to know, investigate, analyze and pronounce itself. Its members: the ministers of Justice; Coordinator of Security, Defense, Interior and the National Secretariat of Transparency of Management. They decide to hire an external researcher: the Argentine expert Roberto Meza Niella to know the truth. $ 95,200 is allocated for that purpose, but everything goes into a reserved information phase.
- According to the minutes, on April 11, 2013, the first product (report) of the expert was received; On May 15, the second and July 8 are received the third to be put to the consideration of the Interinstitutional Committee for approval. Observations are made to the documents and on August 23, 2013 the final report is received. According to the widow of Gabela, there was manipulation of the reports that the then minister, Lady Zúñiga, denied. The great dark point is the final report that the previous government denied exists; that the Comptroller’s Office did not find in the special examination that it did to the hiring, but that the administrator of the contract, Jéssica Jaramillo, and the expert Meza assure that it exists.
- There are two second reports or products. Of which the conclusions were announced in 2014, because it is reserved, it is said that Gabela’s death was due to common delinquency. The same report, after the reservation was lifted, indicates in its observations that it was organized crime. Both documents do not agree on the number of pages.
- The truth about the reports of the expert Meza Niella will be made known by himself, both to President Lenin Moreno and to the Office of the Prosecutor, in which he will render his version. He has said that he will tell the truth so that Mrs. Patricia Ochoa, her family and the country know it. (I)