Posted On 07 Sep 2017
Residues left by crude oil refining at the Shushufindi plant account for 52% of daily production. The rest (48%) is stored in huge tanks for consumption in the Orellana, Sucumbíos, and Napo provinces. The surplus is transported through special pipelines to the Beaterio station located in Quito.
The plant, made up of two identical refining units, processes 20,000 barrels of oil per day. It operates at full capacity, although after processing the crude, most products are residues.
Luis Calero, an oil specialist, believes that the government should carry out studies to expand the capacity of the Shushufindi Refinery and improve its production processes.
Although the Shushufindi Industrial Complex is relatively small, its output serves to satisfy the domestic demand for oil and gas. (I)