Some 3,000 Venezuelan military and police officers began deploying in Caracas today, especially within areas of the state of Miranda (north), ruled by opposition leader Henrique Capriles, as part of a plan that will spread throughout the country to combat insecurity.
“We are here because we have decided to fight with all our might to build a safe country,” said President Nicolas Maduro speaking to military, national and municipal police squads while inaugurating the plan Safe Country 2013, in the military complex Tiuna Stronghold (west of Caracas), on a mandatory broadcast for all radio and television stations in the country.
The deployment started near the municipalities of Sucre and Baruta, in Caracas (most violent municipalities according to the government), which are ruled by opposition mayors and belong to the Miranda state.
On his behalf Capriles, in an interview with Union Radio, doubted the effectiveness of the plan Safe Country. “Security is a comprehensive concept, is not just about take the Armed Forces to the streets. I see improvisation, to try to give us some kind of satisfaction, we’ll see how long it lasts, “he said.
Furthermore, opposition leader rejected the Government’s statement that Baruta and Sucre are the most violent municipalities. “The Libertador municipality is the most violent (…) Miranda only represents 10% of the crime rate in the country, what about the other 90%?” He said.