The President of the Republic, Lenín Moreno, announced on Sunday night new measures to prevent the spread of the COVID-19 coronavirus.
In the national chain, the president ordered that from 06:00 on Tuesday, March 17, pedestrian and vehicular mobilization will be restricted. Citizens must stay at home and can only go out if they go to work, medical appointments, pharmacies, supermarkets or to care for older adults.
Moreno informed that the mobilization is allowed to:
– Acquire food, basic necessities and medicines
– Go to health centers
– To get to work and return
– To care for elderly and sick adults
– For major emergency reasons; fueling and gas stations
He pointed out that cafes, restaurants, bars should not attend, but they can only ship to addresses.
In addition, Moreno said, all commercial activities or establishments that bring together more than 30 people will be suspended, with the exception of those that sell basic necessities, pharmaceuticals, orthopedics, pets and telecommunications.
Restaurants should only serve home delivery and those located in hotels only for their guests.
“The residence time in the commercial establishments authorized to operate will be strictly necessary to purchase food or products; products will not be consumed in establishments, “said the president.
About the economy
The president mentioned the economic impact that this emergency will bring, so he put in place some measures to guarantee employment and alleviate this impact, including:
– While the emergency lasts, there will be no cuts in basic services due to lack of payment
– Employers and workers must reach agreements on working modalities. “There will be no layoffs,” emphasized Moreno.
– Tax payments for the months of April, May and June will be deferred in six months.
– It works with control authorities, the public, private and cooperative financial systems to alleviate the payments that should be made in the next six months.
– The tariffs of medical products necessary to attend the emergency will be eliminated.
Moreno added that classes are still suspended and that work is being done on the tele-education platform. (I)