Ecuador temporarily grants a visa called ‘violet’ to Afghan citizens who are victims of the conflict in the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan.
This in order that they can enter and remain in Ecuadorian territory, according to Ministerial Agreement No. 0000146 of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Human Mobility.
The visa will have a duration of up to one year, non-renewable. In addition, the application form and the visa will not cost the applicant.
The ministerial agreement, issued on October 22, provides for the Zonal Directorates of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs to receive and process the applications of Afghan citizens who wish to enter and remain in Ecuador with a violet visa for humanitarian reasons.
Before granting, applicants must meet the following requirements:
- Violet visa application form.
- Passport size color photograph with a white background.
- Justify Afghan nationality by presenting the passport or travel documents recognized through international instruments and the human mobility authority.
- Having left Afghanistan as of August 1, 2021 and in accordance with the information available to the Ecuadorian State.
- Not to be considered a threat or risk to public safety and structure of the State according to information available to the Ecuadorian State.
- In the case of accompanied minors, the birth certificate, sworn statement or document that justifies the parentage with the parents will be required.
- Letter of sponsorship from the requesting entity stating the commitment to cover the expenses of the Afghan citizen’s stay during the period of validity of the violet visa.
“Each foreign citizen constitutes an independent migratory unit and therefore, the violet visa will be granted prior to the fulfillment of the corresponding requirements by each applicant as the holder of said visa, regardless of age, disability status or other order,” states the ministerial agreement. (I)