The FARC and the government of Colombia resumed on Monday peace talks in Cuba, after a break by new year’s eve, with the challenge of advancing the issue of reparations to victims.
“We resumed the talks, hoping to continue with the fulfillment of the agreed terms known by the people of Colombia and the whole world,” said the guerrilla in a statement read to the press by commander Joaquin Gomez.
“It is of our interest, that we already agree the procedures and mechanisms for the reparation of victims by all actors involved in the conflict, armed and unarmed,” he added.
At another point, for the FARC “outside the process formulas” exist, as the so-called “legal framework for peace,” a legal initiative launched by Juan Manuel Santos in 2012 with the intention to call a referendum to endorse an eventual peace agreement.
“It is necessary to say that, according to the order of the Agenda, everything has its time and place, which does not give space to fake solutions as referendums and electoral flavors and eagerness, which escape to the already agreed,” Gomez said.
Peace negotiations began in November 2012 and so far the two sides have agreed on three of the six points of the agenda.