A large mass of black smoke and great red flames showed today at 13:30 (GMT) in downtown buildings in Guayaquil.
The fire in a house located on Luis Urdaneta and Ximena streets, where handmade paint was produced, altered the regular workday in the city.
An employee and a firefighter were aided as they had problems of suffocation caused by the emission of toxic gases. Both were taken to nearby hospitals.
The windows of several surrounding houses were broken. More than 150 firefighters controlled the scourge in almost an hour. (ARL)