Ecuador’s interior minister, Cesar Navas, revealed that there has been no further communication with the kidnappers of a couple from the city of Santo Domingo province who disappeared last week on the border with Colombia.
“About the two citizens who are kidnapped we have not had communication with the captors,” the minister said at a press conference in the city of San Lorenzo, in the north of the border province of Esmeraldas.
Accompanied by a police high command and two officials, Navas announced the results of a police operation in which he seized $ 50 million worth of drugs, and before the questions of the journalists he also talked about the situation of the couple and of the search for the bodies of the members of the journalistic teams killed last week.
Navas assured that since the Government received “the evidence of the kidnapping, at the beginning of this week, there was no other communication” with the kidnappers.
The couple, a man and a woman, disappeared on Thursday, April 12 during a trip to Esmeraldas, and the government announced on April 17 its kidnapping after receiving a video of both by the same channel of communication with the captors of the El Comercio newspaper from Quito.
Both events, as well as a series of explosions in which four soldiers were killed and some thirty wounded, are attributed to a FARC dissident allegedly linked to drug trafficking and known by the nickname of “Guacho”.
The minister added about this latest kidnapping that the police technical work continues and that meetings have been held with the relatives.
As for the search of the three bodies, he explained that it is not something that “depends on the authorities”.
“These criminals, these murderers, do not have the slightest sensitivity with their relatives or with Ecuadorian society to give us information,” he said.
And concluded that there are international organizations, including the International Red Cross, which “have openly expressed their cooperation.”. (I)