Approximately 60% of applicants to fill the vacancies of the seven judges of the National Court of Justice (CNJ for its Spanish acronym) come from the province of Pichincha (108). The remaining 40% is divided into 63 applicants from Guayas, 19 from Azuay, 15 from El Oro, 12 from Los Ríos, 11 from Loja, 10 from Chimborazo, nine from Tungurahua, eight from Manabi and 42 more spread across other provinces.
Also, according to ethnicity, applicants are defined in eight groups: 239 were identified as mestizos, 26 montubios, 15 white, 8 indigenous, 3 afro-descendant, 3 mulattoes, 2 afro-Ecuadorians and one black.
Among the applicants there is the former president of the Court and delegate to president, Rafael Correa, of the Andean Court of Justice, Jose Vicente Troya.
There are also the temporary former judges Luis Quiroz and Ivan Nolivos, former manager of the Deposit Guarantee Agency (AGD for its Spanish acronym) Alexandra Cantos, Lourdes Tiban’s husband Raul Ilaquiche, former prosecutor of Pichincha Miguel Jurado, among others.