The Ecuadorian prosecutor’s office activated the alerts today after Fausto Valdiviezo, son of the journalist of the same name killed in 2013, denounced on Saturday that he received threats by telephone, from a private number that was not registered.
“Faced with the threats received by the relatives of the deceased journalist, Fausto Valdivieso, the Prosecutor’s Office together with the Ecuadorian Police activated security alerts,” he wrote in his Twitter account.
Through a video on his profile of that social network, the son of the murdered journalist commented that in recent days he had made comments -which he did not specify- on social networks, which “have not pleased” certain “little people”.
In the video he says that on Saturday he received a call from a private number to tell him: “Be very careful, we know where you live, or you shut up or we shut you up”, after which they hung up.
“I leave this video as proof that I received a threat an hour ago and anything can happen. I will leave all this in the hands of God, divine justice I know that it exists, I believe in it, “he concludes.
In the most recent case of the so-called Valdiviezo case, the Ecuadorian Prosecutor’s Office reported Friday that it cited for the next week the former head of state Rafael Correa, a resident of Belgium, and a fugitive from Ecuadorian justice, in order to render his “free and voluntary version”
This diligence, by videoconference, is scheduled for January 10, at 09.00 local time (14.00 GMT).
Given this, Correa said via Twitter that “just missing” to be called “to render version for the sinking of the Titanic. In addition, they were informed that any version should apply to Belgium through diplomatic channels, according to art. 7 of the Belgian law of December 9, 2004, but they insist on making a fool of themselves “.
Correa, who governed Ecuador between 2007 and 2017, lives in Belgium (from where his wife is born) since 2017 after handing over power in May of that year to his then fellow Lenin Moreno, who won the elections in April at the polls.
On April 11, 2013, the death of Valdiviezo shocked the Ecuadorian society and Correa himself, president then, expressed his commitment so that the crime would not go unpunished.
In May 2013, the then interior minister, José Serrano, reported that there was a relationship between a supposed mafia network and the journalist’s death in the coastal city of Guayaquil (southwest).
Serrano said that the investigations of the Police and the Prosecutor’s Office allowed locating members of the network that, apparently, committed several crimes such as drug trafficking, usury, money laundering and trafficking in persons.
The statements of Serrano, now Assemblyman, occurred shortly after the hearings of charges against seven people detained for that case.
Serrano said then that the operations carried out stopped three foreigners of Albanian, Greek and Bulgarian origin.
He explained that the first versions of the detainees pointed to foreigners apparently being used as “mules” or intermediaries to send drugs abroad.
According to him, there were also two fugitives related to the murder of the journalist who had been included in a rewards program for his capture.
Prosecutor Paúl Ponce said that two cases had been initiated, one for the crime of journalist Valdiviezo and another for drug trafficking.
Valdiviezo Sr., who was 53 years old when he was shot, worked on several television networks in Ecuador as a reporter and news anchor. (I)