The State Department of the United States will begin receiving from Wednesday October 6 Applications for the visa lottery legal permanent residency or green card (green card), a process known as visa lottery.
Registration for this annual raffle expires on November 9; for fiscal year 2023 it will deliver 55,000 visas of this type. Between 11 million and 14 million citizens of the countries that Washington includes in a list, such as Ecuador, for example, will be able to participate.
The visa lottery was established by a 1990 law and is aimed at applicants who meet certain requirements such as having a high school education, at least two years of work experience, and a clean record of criminal activities.
Those favored will receive their passport with the diversity visa, as well as a sealed immigrant package that must be presented at Customs and Border Protection. The immigrant fee must also be paid for the green card to be issued, the permanent resident card that will allow you to live and work perennially in the US.
Among the data required for the application are the names, place and date of birth, country of residence, passport number, home address, email, telephone number, degree of education achieved, marital status, number of children, also You will need to enter a photograph with the standards for visas.
Eligibility requirements for the visa lottery
- You must be a citizen of an eligible country. For you to participate, no more than 50,000 people must have emigrated from your country to the United States in the last five years. To find out if you are eligible, each year the State Department publishes a list of eligible and ineligible countries .
- You must meet the education and / or work experience requirement.
- – Twelve full and satisfactory years of primary and secondary education, or their equivalent.
- – At least two completed years of work experience within the last five years in an eligible occupation.
Where to fill out the application to participate in the visa lottery
- Once available to the public, you can complete the application to participate online .
- The application has no cost and the entire process is given solely and exclusively through the website of the Department of State.
- Only one application per person is allowed.
- Keep your registration confirmation number in a safe place. You will need that number to track the status of your application online.
To protect yourself from visa lottery scams, remember the following:
- The Department of State will not send you a letter or email to notify you of the results. You have to verify your result online with the confirmation number that you receive when submitting your application. Avoid being scammed.
- Entry to the visa lottery is free.
- The application is not sold and cannot be downloaded because the process can only be done electronically.
- The US Government operates the visa lottery exclusively, without contracting with third parties.
- The US Government will never ask you for an advance payment to give you the visa. Be wary of scammers who ask you for money transfers, money orders, or checks to make a payment. (I)