Version delivered by the economist Rafael Correa through videoconference
In the city of Quito, on, Tuesday, June 5, two thousand and eighteen, at fifteen hours, before Mrs. Paola Gallardo, prosecutor of Pichincha, delegated by the Attorney General of the State, in charge, for this diligence, Mr. ROMMY SANTIAGO VALLEJO VALLEJO, holder of the identity card number 1710433440, 44 years old, of superior education, profession Officer of Police in Passive service, domiciled in the province of Pichincha, canton Quito, corner street of the valley , house 24, telephone: 098-396-5497, email: firstname.lastname@example.org, accompanied by your lawyer. Abg. Bryan José Barrera Angueta, with registration No. 3854 CAP.
The prosecutor informs of the constitutional rights stipulated in the Constitution of Ecuador and warned of its obligation to tell the truth with clarity and exactitude, renders its free and voluntary version and states: “I want to indicate concerning the case that is being investigated that I, Rommy Vallejo, I have not had any kind of participation or knowledge before, during and after the fact that is being investigated.
I want to clarify that from 2007 to March 2013 I worked as a Security and Anticorruption Advisor in the Presidency of the Republic, from March 2013 to March 2014 I was deputy director of Intelligence of the National Police and in March 2014 I was appointed secretary National Intelligence.
I must indicate that during the year 2007 to March 2014 I was a police officer in active service. In 2014, when I was appointed National Secretary of Intelligence, I accepted the right of withdrawal and since that date I am an officer in passive service. Once clarified that I do not have any kind of participation in the facts that are investigated.
This fact I met through the media. I would like to point out that as my security adviser I have had contact with the Colombian Intelligence Police (DIPOL) since 2008, which was the first time I traveled to Colombia to have a coordination to see how the security team worked. Immediate response from President Uribe and from that date to when I was deputy director of Intelligence, I had multiple visits to Colombia to coordinate even trainings of our Colombian police and Colombian instructors who came to train our police, during these visits to Colombia I never hired a vehicle, I never hired any person, I was always lodged in a police hotel, I was always provided with a DIPOL vehicle for my transfers.
I knew that the Presidency of the Republic was following a process against Mr. Fernando Balda in Ecuador and as a result of that process there was an arrest, I was asked to find out if Mr. Fernando Balda was in Colombia so in one of those many visits that I made to the Colombian Police I coordinated with DIPOL with General Vargas and Major Martinez if they could locate Mr. Balda in Colombia, since we knew that his stay in that country was illegal.
That is all I can say to the fact that it is being investigated. – Next, the Office of the Prosecutor asks the following questions.
– 1P.- In the 2011-2012 period, what functions did he fulfill as a Security and Anti-Corruption Advisor in the Presidency of the Republic.
– 1R.- Verify risks, threats and vulnerabilities to the Presidency of the Republic.
– 2P.- Who were their hierarchical superiors?
– 2R.- I was an active duty police officer and my superior was the General Commander and as an adviser to the Presidency he also responded to the President of the Republic.
– 3P.- Explain, within its functions, its relationship with the UGSI and SENAIN in the 2011-2012 period.
-3R.- The UGSI and the SENAIN were independent units and I was never a director of the UGSI and I did not have any relationship with the SENAIN.
– 4P.- Explain how you came to know about the judicial process referred by the Presidency against Mr. Fernando Balda.
– 4R.- I do not remember on what date, by the public media, it was a process that followed Mr. Balda, I think it was for slander.
– 5P.- Who handled or coordinated at the Presidency level this judicial process that you referred in your previous answer.
– 5R.- I have no knowledge.
– 6P.- Who asked you to find out if Mr. Fernando Balda was in Colombia.
– 6R.- The President of the Republic.
– 7P.- On what date the President of the Republic asked him to find out if Fernando Balda was in Colombia.
– 7R.-I do not remember.
– 8P.- In what way received the instruction referred in his previous response from the President of the Republic.
– 8R.- It was verbal maybe in the President’s Office I do not remember well.
– 9P.- Explain in detail how you complied with the instruction received from the President of the Republic.
– 9R.- I traveled to Colombia and coordinated with the DIPOL as indicated by the coordination I made with Major Carlos Martínez, who at that time was the coordinator of the DIPOL.
– 10P.- Regarding the instruction of the President of the Republic what report you submitted
.- 10R.- Once I returned to Quito I remember that I should have given a report to the President of the coordination that had been taking place.
– 11P.- What information received from the coordination that made with Major Carlos Martinez of Colombia DIPOL.
– 11R.- At that time none, then when Mr. Balda was deported I remember that I received a call, I do not remember who, indicating that he had been arrested and that they were processing the issue of deportation.
– 12P.- The call he received from which official he was, explain Ecuador or Colombia.
– 12R.- I do not remember what official was from Colombia
.- 13P.- In the procedure of deportation Ecuadorian officials participated.-
13R.- I have no knowledge.
– 14P.- Explain if you were present at the arrival of Mr. Fernando Balda.
– 14R.- As I was informed from Colombia, I was in a ceremony at the Superior School of Police and I moved to the airport, I did not coordinate with any other institution.
– 15P.- In his version referred to the name of General Vargas of Colombia, who is he.
– 15R.- He was the Director of Intelligence of Colombia at the time in which I was moving, I do not remember what degree he had at that time but now he is General, I do not remember the name
– 16P.- Explain what activities he coordinated with General Vargas.-
16R.- many activities in the Balda case only with Martínez , with Vargas was not to coordinate any type of action .
– 17P.- To carry out coordination activities in Colombia that refers to what other authorities coordinated.-
17R.- With no other authority in Colombia or Ecuador.
– 18P. – With respect to kidnapping Mr. Balda by what means did you came to know this event .
– 18R.- I do not remember what means of communication.-
19P.- What you know as a police member what is the procedure that must be met when a police member leaves the country to fulfill activities in another country.-
19R.- I do not remember what the procedure was like, but I was in the service of the Presidency, the travel expenses and the passages that corresponded to the trips that I made, the Presidency assumed them as any official who worked in the Presidency of the Republic.
– 20P.- Who was the official who in the Presidency made the payments of travel expenses or purchase of tickets.
– 20R.-I do not remember the name but it was the Secretary of the Presidency.
– 21P.- Meet Raúl Chicaiza, Diana Falcón and Jorge Espinoza Mendez.
– 21R.- I have known Raúl Chicaiza since 2014 and I do not know Diana Falcón, I know Mr. Espinoza since 1997 who has worked in the Cañar Police Command No. 15.
Then the lawyer of the complainant Abg. Jairo Lalaco consults.-
1P.- How an official who was not part of the subsystem of Intelligence being an Advisor to the Presidency could coordinate an entire security system.-
1R.-I did not coordinate with the Intelligence system, one of my functions as an advisor was to identify risks, threats, vulnerability to the Presidency of the Republic, the issue is that the Presidency was following the trial of Mr. Fernando Balda.-
2P.- Indicate if you performed any operation with agents Raúl Chicaiza and Diana Falcón.-
3P.- What officials or policemen accompanied you to Colombia with DIPOL.-
3R.- I went alone because I did not have police officers in charge.-
4P.- He was aware of the legal situation they were going through Agents Raúl Chicaiza, Diana Falcón and Jorge Espinoza for the kidnapping of Mr. Balda.-
4R.- When I was Secretary of Intelligence in 2014, I received trades from Mr. Chicaiza requesting that he be helped. He was through the Legal Coordination of the Intelligence Secretariat, which could not be helped.-
5P.- The President of the Republic was informed of this.-
5R.- I am not aware.-
6P.- What other officials of the National intelligence system were informed of the letters sent to him by agents Raúl Chicaiza, Diana Falcón and Jorge Espinoza.-
6R.- I do not remember.-
7P.- What administrative or judicial corrective measures were taken against these policemen.-
7R. – They were not of my competence.
8P.- Knowing the facts that Mr. Chicaiza and Diana Falcón related related to the kidnapping of Mr. Balda in Colombia, what actions did you have. –
8R.- The analysis was sent to the Legal Department of the Secretariat to answer Mr. Chicaiza in 2015 the fact was a public fact that was being investigated in the Prosecutor’s Office, I suppose.-
9P.- Meet Mr. Xavier Redrován.-
9R.- Yes he was the Legal Coordinator of the National Secretariat national Intelligence.-
10P.- In the facts that you have narrated in your version coordinated or gave some instruction to Mr. Xavier Redrován.-
10R.- I do not remember.-
11P.- Indicate what specific coordination actions DIPOL had to perform on Mr. Balda.-
11R.- About its location.-
12P.- DIPOL’s work is a report.-
12R.- I do not remember.-
13P.- After Mr. Balda was able to locate what further actions you took.-
13R.- As I had previously indicated They informed the moment that he was being deported.-
14P.- He knows Mr. Diego Vallejo.-
14R.- I have never seen him.-
15P.- He knows if Xavier Cordova traveled to Colombia for the Balda case.-
15R.- I do not know.-
16P.- After receiving the letters from agents Raúl Chicaiza and Diana Falcón, he informed Mr. José Serrano of this matter.-
16R.- I do not remember.-
17P.- After receiving letters from agents Raúl Chicaiza and Diana Falcón had meeting with Mr. Pablo Romero Quezada on this matter.-
17R.- No.-1 8P.- Where he stayed on May 8 in Colombia.-
18R.- I do not remember while I was a police officer I stayed at the hotel of the Police Officers Club of Colombia but that May 8 I do not remember.-
19P. – Meet the police Narvaez Guaycha .-
19R.- Yes I know.-
20P.- What threats or vulnerability represents Mr. Fernando Balda to the President of the Republic.
20R.- I indicated that it was one of the functions that had not all Functions.-
Next, the defense of Mr. Fausto Tamayo, through his attorney Dr. Patricio Abad, consults: –
1P.- When he received instructions from the President of the Republic to find out the location of Fernando Balda in Colombia, which other persons They were in that meeting.-
1R.- I do not remember if there were more people.-
2P.- Since he received the instruction of the President until his trip to Colombia to carry out the coordination that you mentioned you informed or gave some order to another person.-
2R .- Not because it was just one verification of whether he was in Colombia or not.-
3P.- For his trip to Colombia when he met with Gen. Vargas y Martínez to locate Mr. Fernando Balda specifically to that trip as it was financed.
3R.- It was the Presidency of The Republic.-
Next, the defense of Mr. Jorge Armando Espinoza Méndez through his attorney Dr. José Moreno Arévalo consults: –
1P.- Regarding the UGSI and the SENAIN being intelligence units within the scale of command which was the immediate superior organic.-
1R.- The UGSI responded to the General Command of the police because its members were police officers in active service and SENAIN, as the law says, is a State Secretariat that responds to the Presidency of the Republic.-
2P.- In the functions that you performed before you are National Intelligence Secretary, indicate if Jorge Espinoza Méndez was your subordinate.-
2R.- I do not remember, from March 2013 to March 2014 I was Assistant Director of Intelligence then I do not know if Mr. Espinoza would be with the pass in the DGI there are more than a thousand policemen who work in the DGI.-
3P.- Remember if at some point you ordered Mr. Jorge Espinoza Méndez to travel to Colombia to execute intelligence operations in the case named Wilson.- 3R.- I do not know which is the Wilson operation.-
4P.- Being Secretary of the SENAIN was like his subordinate Mr. Jorge Espinoza Méndez.
4R.- He was not part.-
Then the defense of Raúl Chicaiza and Diana Falcón consults: –
1P.- State the approximate date when you were in Bogotá, negotiating with DIPOL.-
1R.- It could have been the first semester of the year in which the deportation was made to Mr. Fernando Balda.-
2P.- Indicate if your administration in Bogota was before or after the event that came to be known by the media about the kidnapping.- (I)
2R.- It was before