The General Directorate of Civil Aviation (DGCA), is in trouble due to the process of purchasing a laboratory aircraft for the calibration of the navigation aids at the airports, started abroad with a price of us $ 11’200.000, and which will be part of a plan called “ECU/11/802. Technical assistance for technical and operational strengthening of the Directorate of Civil Aviation of the Republic of Ecuador”.
The DGCA carries out this project on the basis of the agreement of management services (MSA) signed between the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the Organization of International Civil Aviation (ICAO), for the specialized technical cooperation in the field of civil aviation.
The general director of Civil Aviation, Fernando Guerrero, justified the delegation of the ICAO for the purchase of the laboratory aircraft “taking into account that there is no domestic production”.
In December 2012, the DGAC cancelled 30% (3 360 000 dollars) of the reference cost of the aircraft to to this international agency, and plans to pay the remaining 70% this year ($ 7 840 000).
However, in addition to the total of the reference value, the DGAC will have to cancel a surcharge of at least $582 000 for general costs, rates of professional liability and insurance fees for the service of technical support, as indicated in the DGAC-2013-0567 Official document , sent to ICAO on March 13, by Fernando Guerrero.
Therefore, this new management of invitation to tender for the purchase of the laboratory aircraft y has led to the claim of international suppliers, who allege that the process is oriented to favor an applicant in particular, and that it is economically harmful to the Ecuador.